Saturday, November 22, 2008

Anglican Prayer Beads



I have a friend who is going to be getting some of these for Christmas! I thought I'd make extra, though, and put them in my shop at 1000 Markets.

An Anglican prayer bead set is not really a rosary in the Catholic tradition. It has only 33 beads, one for each year of Christ's life. The larger ones are in a roughly cruciform chape while the others are evenly spaced around the set, in groups of seven. Episcopal or Anglican beads do not have set prayers attached to them, as does the rosary. So why have them?

Like most prayer beads, they serve as a means for meditation. They help keep fingers busy so prayer can happen, and they help the user find a certain amount of peace
and stillness. The user can say any prayer he or she wishes to--the point is that the beads help with the prayers.

Making prayer bead sets is intrinsically satisfying--but it also helps me in my desire to make unusual but useful items. This set is sterling silver (all except the cross itself, which was imported from Italy. (Yes, I know that that is a Catholic, not a Protestant, crucifix. Anglicans are Catholic Lite.) I liked the serenity of the bluegrey glass, so I named this set "Serenity." You can see more pictures on the 1000Markets listing.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

wow - those are gorgeous! I was culturally raised Catholic but am more of a Christian - Buddhist (if there is such a thing :) I love these and they are so great for anyone who prays or meditates! Nice work Fourtails. I love your lampwork!

PickyHistorian said...

Thank you, Denise! I have a set I made for my own use, and they really do help.

And I know what you mean about being a Christian-Buddhist. catholic grandparents, Jewish godfather, catholic godmother, Buddhist and Hindu best friends, Protestant mother, agnostic father ....