Friday, October 3, 2008

At the Show III: Peyote Stitch

One of the things I value most about any conference or convention, whether it is in my professional field or my crafting field, is the serendipitous discovery of new ideas. I always come away exhausted (Dogmaw and I had drinks and dinner at O'Charley's on the last night of the show, and were in bed by nine-thirty!), but bursting with ideas. As I fell asleep I was thinking about what I wanted to make, and how I could accomplish a new design, and many other things.

Among the items I saw at the show were amazing examples of peyote stitch. I had known about it for a long time, but had never really taken any interest--until I saw some phenomenal examples at the show, both from vendors like Dogmaw Glass, and from attendees like the man below. Check out his necklace!



And a close-up:



The beauty of peyote stitch is that it is portable. More than that, for me at least, it combines the feel of fiber art with glass--you're making fabric out of glass!

Here are some links I have found for peyote stitch instruction:

Even and Odd Count Peyote Stitch Instructions (From Suzanne Cooper).

Bead and Button Peyote Stitch Tutorial (PDF)

Beltana's beads: Tubular Peyote Stitch

(VIDEO) Karla Kam: Peyote Stitch Bracelet

If you haven't tried peyote stitch, these are some places to start.

No comments: